CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Live your best life

To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and
refinement rather fashion; to be worthy, not respectable; and wealthy, not rich;
to study hard, think quietly, talk gently, act frankly...to listen to stars and
buds, to babes and sages, with open heart; await occasions, hurry never...this
is my symphony-William Henry Channing




Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A year since ........

......I left the rat race.

Since I have so much time on my hands nowadays I have been doing a lot of soul searching (unintentionally of course!) I don't know why but at my age? My sentiment exactly! What I had as a job was not what I would call a career nor one that I would choose to be in either . It was what I had to do to pay the bills when you are the eldest in a family full of financial restraints. I was never asked about what my amibition was, let alone any advice was given as to which profession would benefit me for life. I had to take what was given. The first job that landed on my lap was as a receptionist in a legal firm. It was good to begin with and was learning something new every day but as time went on all that slowly trickled away. Though I am proud to say that I've worked up the ranks through those 25 years but it was hardly easy as I had to put up with a lot bullying and a lot of "kow towing" in fear of being dismissed for insubordination if I dared question anything.

Now as I am getting restless with the time on my hands I am thinking I need to focus on something new again. I need to look for something to do with my time but the question of what kind of work would I want to go into is still unanswered. THAT itself is a big question. People say if you enjoy what you do you wouldn’t describe it as work. Now I know what I enjoy doing but that ain’t gonna bring in moneyll So I am back to looking at what there are out there for me – which I am capable of doing and all I can see are clerical/admin stuff which spells out LOUD and CLEAR “NOT MY CUP OF TEA" . So here I am finding myself going round and round in circles !!! I don’t want to go back to their so called “rat race” . So what if you win you are still a rat at the end of day !! Is this what having a mid life crisis feels like I wonder ?



2 comments:

Sharon

I don't really know much what to do as I myself are in the same shoes. I think hanging onto that at the moment, re-adjust and balanced it. If I have to do some work to survived, I'll do it, and I believe I will be in the rat race again very soon, but this time, I won't forget to reserved space for what I really liked, a space for myself to create something, a space I'm able to honoured and acknowledged the inner me. I believe I'll live better and better everyday goes by.

Teresa

don't worry. Nobody can help as i need to figure this one out by myself. i just needed to voice it out - as you know its good to do that once in a while, good for the soul!

Post a Comment